Subject Code: 22035
A. MECHANICAL TESTING
- Determine stress strain relations for steel.
- Determine hardness of materials.
- Perform torsion, bending, impact and shear tests.
- Test on Ductile Materials: Finding Young’s Modulus of Elasticity, yield points, percentage elongation and percentage reduction in area, stress strain diagram plotting, tests on mild steel.
- Hardness Test:Determination of Rockwell’s Hardness Number for various materials like mild steel, high carbon steel, brass, copper and aluminium.
- Torsion test: Torsion test on mild steel – relation between torque and angle of twist-determination of shear modulus and shear stress.
- Bending and deflection tests: Determination of Young’s Modulus for steel by deflection test.
- Impact test: Finding the resistance of materials to impact loads by Izod test and Charpy test.
- Tests on springs of circular section: Determination of modulus of rigidity, strain energy, shear stress and stiffness by load deflection method (Open & Closed coil spring)
- Shear test: Single or double Shear test on M.S. bar to finding the resistance of material to shear load.
B. QUALITY CONTROL
- To study the microscope structure of the metals
- Determine the microscope structure of the ferrous and nonferrous metals
- Conduct the liquid penetration test to find crack
- Conduct magnetic particle test to find cracks
- Using the Metallurgical microscope and identify the grain structure of given specimen.
- Preparation of specimen to examine the micro structure of metal samples (i)Ferrous and (ii) Non-Ferrous (Minimum two exercises on each category).
- Detection of Cracks in casting using Visual Inspection and ring test&Die penetrant test
- Detection of Cracks in casting using Magnetic particle test.
Mechanics of Materials and Fluid Mechanics Laboratory- "K" Scheme:
Subject Code: 12035